Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Last Meal

So I had no ideas for today's post so I'm going with the prompt from the NaBloPoMo site for today which is "If you knew that whatever you ate next would be your last meal, what would you eat?"  I'd have to say that I'd have a nice grilled steak with rosemary smashed potatoes and super fresh green beans with peach cobbler and homemade peach ice cream for dessert.  I know it's not super extravagant, but it definitely reminds me of home. Growing up my Dad would grill almost every weekend and I love that open flame charcoal taste on a steak. And in the summer, having grown up partially in Texas we would make the most amazing peach ice cream with fresh peaches from Texas, which are the best by the way.  I loved everything about summers with my family, the time with cousins, the sound of the ice cream maker, running around outside at my Grandma's in the country, de-silking corn, picking beans, all of it.  I think that's why I have such a strong desire to move out to the country when we grow up.  I feel like there is just something about being close to the earth that I miss in my everyday life in the suburbs, but such is life when there is a munchkin around.  I wouldn't want to sacrifice his education by moving to the country, or risk not getting to see him as much because of custody shenanigans. 9 more years and he'll be out of high school and we'll be free to wander where we will.

Rosemary Smashed Potatoes

2 lbs of  New Potatoes or Red Potatoes
3 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
Olive Oil
Sea Salt

Boil the potatoes until they are just soft and drain.
Pre-heat oven to broil.
Oil a cookie sheet and place boiled potatoes on them.
Smash the potatoes with your hand, a bowl, a potato masher, really anything that will flatten out the potatoes.
Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and chopped rosemary leaves.
Broil for about 15-20 min or until crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment