Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Weight Loss, Paleo and Taking the blog in a new direction

As you may have guessed from the title of this post and the fact that I've changed the title of this blog, I've decided to take it in a new direction.  I want this to be a chronicle of my trials and (hopefully) successes to lose weight.  I figure that's what most of the posts on here are about any way and I really won't be sewing or knitting any clothing until after I've gotten some of my weight off.  I've decided to really make a lifestyle change as I've managed to try most diets and yo-yo my way back up way above where I want to be.  I am addicted to certain foods and I have a really hard time with self control when it comes to food, this is not a new thing for me.  As a high schooler I used to sneak across the street to my high school when my parents weren't home to buy junk food out of the vending machines since my parents would never have bought me that type of stuff as I struggled with my weight.  I need to address the issues I have with food, the emotional eating, the binging and the feeling that I really deserve to eat crap.  Well I don't, no one does, I shouldn't reward or punish myself with food.  I want to get to a point where I can enjoy my meals but still see them as a source of fuel.  I've debated whether or not to take the blog this direction but I think I need the accountability of having my journey detailed on the internet for anyone to read.

My plans are this: I want to commit to posting a weekly Wednesday Weigh In, Tasty Tuesday will be for recipes and Motivational Mondays for posts to keep us all going strong.  In conjunction with Wednesday Weigh In I will be posting my measurements monthly along with pictures to really track my progress.  My eating plan is going to be a pretty strict Paleo plan in which I cut out fruit and nuts.  Sugar is a big trigger food for me as are grains, so the Paleo without fruit or nuts (for a while) seems like the best option.  I'm also going to track my calories.  I know that this is not usually a part of a Paleo lifestyle, but I am the queen of rationalization so I can tell myself that I ate really well because I stuck to Paleo, when in reality I ate 2 cups of nuts and 3 cups of fruit, which, while not bad for you, are not great for weight loss.  I'm trying out a couple different apps right now, one being FitBit and the other being MyFitnessPal.  I'm not sure which I'll stick with, but I like that FitBit gives you a calorie deficit to try to hit instead of the calorie count that MyFitnessPal suggests.

I know I can't do this with diet alone so I am planning on some major changes to my sedentary lifestyle.  Steve and I are doing the Couch to 5k (C25k) plan, but we're using the RunDouble app.  I'm also starting the He and She Eat Clean 12 Week Transformation program in our home gym on Monday. It's going to take me a little longer than the 12 weeks since I am modifying the schedule to accommodate our running plan.  Once I'm done with the C25k plan I'm going to start the 5k to 10k plan.  I'm hoping to be able to run a half marathon summer of 2016 and I know that's a big goal, but I think I can do it.  I know this is going to be hard, I have a lot of weight to lose and I have some big fitness goals, but I also know that I'm a really strong person and as long as I keep accountable I can do anything I set my mind to.

So there it is.  I'm kicking my butt in gear and I'm not stopping until I hit that 150 mark.  It will be hard, it will suck at times, but I owe it to myself to stop abusing the body I have and start living the life I want to live.  Steve and I want to hike the Pacific Crest Trail after the munchkin graduates high school in 6 years and I can't do that in my current condition.  Not to mention how sick I am of feeling like crap, battling depression, and being tired all the time.  So this is my manifesto of sorts and I hope you all will join me, or at least support me in my new direction.



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your new direction and commitment! It takes a lot of guts to turn you back on distractions and walk in the direction your inner voice tells you to! When you do, it is ALWAYS a two-edged sword . . . accountability for you, which we all need but also . . . through your example, inspiration to others . . . aaah . . . even more commitment . . . and the circle grows!

    Count on us for support . . . YOU GO GIRL!!

    ReplyDelete