Monday, March 16, 2015

Irish Soda Bread

We went to a St Pat's Day party this past Saturday and I decided to make my Grandma's Irish Soda Bread since my parents are out of town and my Mom wouldn't be making it.  This is the best recipe that I've tried for it and it's pretty simple to make, but it really does need to be made in a cast iron skillet to taste right, it gives the best crust to the bread.  I did make a couple substitutions as is the norm for my family.  Instead of sour cream I used vanilla Greek yogurt, instead of raisins or currants I used 1 cup of yellow raisins, 1 cup regular (purple?) and 1 cup of currants since we had them.  I also omitted the caraway seeds since my Grandma's original recipe noted that she left them out because she didn't have any.  With all that said here's the recipe:




IRISH SODA BREAD

PREP: 15 MINUTES
BAKING TIME: 60–65 MINUTES
OVEN TEMP: 350 DEGREE
SERVES –15

Ingredients:
4 CUPS FLOUR + 1 TABLESPOON FOR DUSTING
½ CUP SUGAR
2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
1 TEASPOON SODA
¾ TEASPOON SALT
3 CUPS RAISONS
1 TABLESPOON CARAWAY SEEDS (OPTIONAL)
2 EGGS, LIGHTLY BEATEN
1 ¼ CUPS BUTTERMILK
1 CUP SOUR CREAM

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350 degree. Grease a 9 inch cast-iron skillet or baking pan
  2. Combine eggs, buttermilk and sour cream in a large bowl.
  3. Combine 4 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins, and caraway seeds stir into wet ingredients just until flour is moistened.
  4. Knead dough in bowl, about 10 strokes; dough will be very sticky! Shape into a ball; place in skillet. Cut a 4-inch “X” ¾-inch deep, across top of dough. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon flour.
  5. Bake in 350 Degree oven for 60-65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center tests clean.  Cool in skillet 10 minutes.  Turn bread out onto wire rack to cool completely.


In the pan ready to bake with the deep X cut in the top.

Fresh from the oven!


No comments:

Post a Comment