IRISH SODA BREAD
PREP: 15 MINUTES
BAKING TIME: 60–65 MINUTES
OVEN TEMP: 350 DEGREE
4 CUPS FLOUR + 1 TABLESPOON FOR DUSTING
½ CUP SUGAR
2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
1 TEASPOON SODA
¾ TEASPOON SALT
3 CUPS RAISONS
1 TABLESPOON CARAWAY SEEDS (OPTIONAL)
2 EGGS, LIGHTLY BEATEN
1 ¼ CUPS BUTTERMILK
1 CUP SOUR CREAM
- Heat oven to 350 degree. Grease a 9 inch cast-iron skillet or baking pan
- Combine eggs, buttermilk and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Combine 4 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins, and caraway seeds stir into wet ingredients just until flour is moistened.
- Knead dough in bowl, about 10 strokes; dough will be very sticky! Shape into a ball; place in skillet. Cut a 4-inch “X” ¾-inch deep, across top of dough. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon flour.
- Bake in 350 Degree oven for 60-65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center tests clean. Cool in skillet 10 minutes. Turn bread out onto wire rack to cool completely.
In the pan ready to bake with the deep X cut in the top.
Fresh from the oven!